Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Weekly Poll 2/17/10: What Type of Reader Are You?

After saying last week that I was putting the weekly poll on hiatus for lack of voters, I came up with a question that I was curious about asking my readers:

What type of reader are you?

  • literary
  • "pop culture"
  • nonfiction
Here are the distinctions I mean by those terms:

  • Literary readers prefer what could be labeled as classics or what is meant to be broken apart and discussed with questions like "What does this mean?" (e.g., Jane Austen, Jack Kerouac, Nathanial Hawthorne, Ernest Hemingway)
  • "Pop culture" readers prefer the books that make the New York Times Bestsellers List or the books most talked about in the moment (e.g., John Grisham, Stephen King, Marian Keyes, Stephenie Meyer, J.K. Rowling)
  • Nonfiction readers prefer just that--nonfiction (e.g., biographies, autobiographies, historical works, essays)
The poll will run from right now until next Wednesday, and next Wednesday I will post about the results and tell you what type of reader I am.  In telling you my own answer to this question, I will also tell you the motivation I had for asking the question in the first place.  I look forward to seeing your votes!

Happy reading and voting!

No comments:

Post a Comment