Sunday, April 18, 2010

Unread Book Challenge: 2 Down, 105 To Go

I know I had said I would put up a poll when I was about finished with The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, but when I finished it, I realized I wanted to go ahead and finish all the books that were partially read on my bookshelf by my comfy chair. The next one I grabbed was Inkspell, the second book in the Inkheart trilogy, a book I had started reading over a year ago and then stopped reading about a year ago.



I had loved Inkheart and so was a bit disappointed when the second book was more difficult to get into. The language was still beautiful, but sometimes the story just dragged. I talked to my friend Sarah who has finished all three, and she said she had the same experience but was glad she kept reading the second because the third (Inkdeath) gets better. One of the reasons I like the idea of the trilogy so much is that it brings a world to life that is wholly dependent on words. Reading aloud can change the world in drastic ways. It reminds us that "reality [is] a fragile thing..." (Inkspell, pg. 568) and that words really are powerful, even if they can't perform magic. Being a word-lover, I appreciate the shout-out to the power of words.

The next two books that I'll be reading are Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr and I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles. Once I'm finished with those, I'll be rewarding myself with The Brightest Star in the Sky by Marian Keyes. And then I'll feel better, knowing I've read those books that I've started but haven't quite made it through. There are a few more of those, but I know they'll be harder for me to finish, so I'm putting those off until I have more mental energy. Sometime this week, I'll put up a poll that will run for a couple weeks (at least) to vote on the book I read after I'm finished with the three I've listed here. Two of them are longer books, so it may be a few weeks before I'm reading to go beyond those.

Have you decided to read any unread (or partially read) books on your shelves? If so, how's it going for you?

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment